extra texture reviews

Il forum dedicato alla vita ed alla musica di George Harrison.

Moderatori: MrTwoOfUs, agrasso, Cristiano, John Paul

Re: extra texture reviews

Messaggioda MrTwoOfUs » domenica 22/09/2013 17:29:30

Bel lavoro. Qui c'è quella del NME:
Can you imagine George Harrison making a worse album than ‘Dark Horse’? Well, he hasn’t. Though ‘Extra Texture’ isn’t the Harrison revival that many might have hopes for, it’s still several leagues superior to Hari’s more recent efforts; and just as ‘All Things Must Pass’ would have made a great single album, so ‘Extra Texture’ would make a more than commendable single side. It’s also my not unpleasant duty to inform you that on ‘Extra Texture’ there’s not a single overt reference to Krishna, The Lord, Our Divine Purpose, or what a drag it is hanging about on this lump of rock whizzing round the sun living in the rotten ol’ material world even if you have got a bloody great mansion down in Surrey.
I haven’t yet seen the album’s sleeve, but on all the ads Hari’s got quite a chirpy smirk plastered across his dial, which is a bit misleading since all but a brace of the nine tracks on ‘Extra Texture’ are the customary mournful and doom-laden Harrison we’ve come to know and fear, only this time the rigours of love take precedence over matters spiritual. George’s songs have never been that lyrically potent, and he’s usually fallen prey to the self-conscious worthiness of the “message song”. And he’s hitherto relied on “musicianship” (no bad thing but it isn’t always enough) to get him through, and on ‘Extra Texture’ has has assembled the usual West Coast session posse of Jim Horn, Jim Keltner, Jesse Ed
Davis, Carl Radle, Klaus Voormann etc to help out. None of which,unfortunately manages to inject much life into the likes of ‘The Answer’s At The End’. Nor does it make ‘Extra Texture’ add up to more than the sum of its parts – which, as all good rock fans know, is what really sorts out the great albums from the OK ones. The opening cut (and single) ‘You’ seems at least to proclaim a return to energy. It has the kind of semi-Spector production that was spread all over ‘All Things Must Pass’. It bounds along OK, Harrison’s double-tracked
vocals gasp convincingly, and it deserves to be the hit that it will be.
But after this, hopes of Hari’s revival are comprehensively dashed by five-and-a-half minutes of the inordinately dreary ‘The Answer’s At The End’, which is one of Hari’s Homespun Homilies full crustychunks of potted wisdom like “Life is one long mystery, my friend” that have been passing as song lyrics since 1967 persuaded people that songs should have a “message”.‘This Guitar Can’t Keep From Crying’ is, naturally enough, a continuation of ‘While My Guitar Gently Weeps’ off the ‘White Album’, of which it is not unreminiscent despite a slower pace.
‘Ooh Baby (You Know That I Love You’ is dedicated to Smokey Robinson, and the vocals try unsuccessfully to capture some kind
of intimacy of soft soul. All form, no content, and you can’t whistle it. On side two things, thankfully, improve. ’Tired Of Midnight Blue’ makes more constructive use of Hari finding his heart in his boots. There’s a tune, some moderately tricksy chord changes and a refreshing simplicity in sight. The relative sparcity gives Leon Russell the chance to play some charming tumbledown piano, George meshes some crisp rhythm guitar against his own lead; and it works. ‘His Names Is Legs (Ladies and Gentlemen)’ is the odd track out because it’s (ulp) not serious. It seems like an attempt to recapture some of the innocent lightheartedness of Beatle days. Verdict: I’ve played it, I don’t mind it, I won’t buy it – but then I don’t have to, Hari fans can anticipate purchase with glee. Others approach with cautious optimism.

Neil Spencer
You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead...
Club "Amici di Mumbo" - Socio fondatore - Tessera n.1
MrTwoOfUs
Fab4Fan
Fab4Fan

Beatle preferito: Tutti e 4!

Messaggioda MrTwoOfUs » domenica 22/09/2013 17:31:16

Ecco, questa frase da Rolling Stone rispecchia il mio pensiero su quest'album: Harrison's affectingly feeble voice is buried in a muddy, post-Spector mix. Un missaggio fangoso con la voce sepolta nel mezzo. Avrebbe meritato di meglio.
You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead...
Club "Amici di Mumbo" - Socio fondatore - Tessera n.1
MrTwoOfUs
Fab4Fan
Fab4Fan

Messaggioda revolver66 » sabato 28/09/2013 09:37:59

quando uscì la ristampa di all things must pass George nel booklet raccontava di aver avuto la tentazione di rimetterci le mani pr sfrondarlo. chissà che avrebbe fatto con ET. l'unico con dark Horse come sappiamo a non esser stato ancora ripubblicato. potrebbe essere l'occasione buona anche se sarebbe molto difficile ripulirlo, temo
revolver66
Fab4Guru
Fab4Guru

Messaggioda Mod XXII » sabato 28/09/2013 09:53:31

Bello ET. sarà che l'ho ascoltato tante notti chiacchierando con Alifib (come Mind Games)... e mi é rimasto dentro. Per me sottovalutatissimo. Lo preferisco, e di molto, ad altri ben più famosi.
“Voi pensate di scappare, in realtà vi state precipitando verso il vostro destino.”
Segui Fab4Fans anche su Twitter!
Mod XXII
Fab4Fan
Fab4Fan

Beatle preferito: John

Messaggioda asylanten » sabato 28/09/2013 10:11:13

MrTwoOfUs ha scritto:Ecco, questa frase da Rolling Stone rispecchia il mio pensiero su quest'album: Harrison's affectingly feeble voice is buried in a muddy, post-Spector mix. Un missaggio fangoso con la voce sepolta nel mezzo. Avrebbe meritato di meglio.

la penso allo stesso modo, sembra che Harrison avesse paura a far risaltare la voce, spersa in un ambiente con poche idee belle e molte confuse, un peccato, magari un unico album con i pezzi migliori di Dark horse e ET sarebbe stato un bell'album
Drumming is my madness
asylanten
Fab4Junior
Fab4Junior

Beatle preferito: John

Messaggioda revolver66 » domenica 05/01/2014 15:10:18

leggo nel libro di Snow che George stesso lo considerava il suo disco peggiore. tanto per non essere monotono, a me è sempre piaicuto molto
revolver66
Fab4Guru
Fab4Guru

Messaggioda lucyinthesky63 » domenica 05/01/2014 17:48:34

quasi quasi lo riascolto...
I'm a Blackstar
Gloria
lucyinthesky63
Fab4Fan
Fab4Fan